Military Discharge

A Veteran may record his Military Discharge record, also known as the DD-214 form, at the Register of Deeds office. The record serves as the official Report of Separation from the armed services. To file or obtain a certified copy of the discharge, the service member or authorized agent must show a government issued ID. NC law restricts public access to the record, NCGS 47-113.2(b)(1). Only certain people are authorized to register, request, or obtain a certified copy of the discharge record. There is No Fee to record the discharge form. There are no restrictions on public access to copies of military discharge records that have been on file for more than eighty years. N.C. G.S. 47-113.2. If you are not authorized or circumstances prevent you from obtaining a copy of the record, contact the Department of Military and Vererans Affairs office in your county for assistance.

Military Discharge records may be filed or obtained by the following people:

  • Service Member/Veteran
  • Widow or widower of deceasedd spouse
  • Authorized Agent from Veteran Affairs
  • Authorized court official
  • Representative of N. C. State Archives
  • Executor acting on behalf of the deceased veteran
  • Agent or representative with authorization in writing from the subject

A Military Discharge must be filed in person by the authorized party. It can not be mailed to the Register of Deeds office to record or request copies.

County Services

Traveling abroad?  Learn more about our Immunization Clinic. Tanglewood Golf Courses

Contact Us

  • 201 North Chestnut Street
    Winston-Salem, NC 27101
  • Phone: 336 703 2700 (Live)
  • Phone: 336 703 2700
    (After Hours Recording)
  • Fax: 336 748 3158
  • Email: Contact Us
Office Hours

8:00 — 5:00 (Monday — Friday)

Obtain Marriage License

8:00 — 4:30 (Monday — Friday)